tillicoultry.org.uk
A ClacksNet Community Site

a view of tillicoultry

Streets in Tillicoultry

 

Hill Street, Hamilton Street and Ochil Street all run parallel to eachother on the north side of the High Street. At the top end they are all connected by Walker Terrace and there is a lane for walkers halfway down, again connecting all the streets.

Hill Street was laid out in 1892 when Messrs G & R Cousin of Alloa were given the contract to make the roadway, the kerb and the run-channels at a cost of £105 10s 7d. James Miller of Tillicoultry cemented the footpaths at a cost of £379 16s 4d. After the 1919 Housing Scotland Act was passed the town council built 8 council houses in the street as part of a programme to improve living conditions.

Hamilton Street was developed after Philip Anstruther of Tillicoultry sold off 7 acres of ground forming part of Hamilton's Park in 1851 to the Tillicoultry Ochil United House Building Society. A fountain, donated by Tillicoultry Co-op Baking Society was erected at the foot of Hamilton Street to celebrate it's jubilee in 1897. This fountain has been moved in recent years and now stands at the foot of Stirling Street, in front of Curran Court.

The fountain at the foot of Stirling Street The fountain now outside Curran Court

The Centenary Hall also stands in Hamilton Street The Centenary Hall

Ochil Street was developed by the Tillicoultry Ochil United House Building Society from the 1850's onwards.

Ochil Street in modern times

Walker Terrace was named after Archibald Walker who between 1891 and 1900 was a burgh commissioner and magistrate, then latterly the Provost. The street dates from the late 19th century and marks the line of the old road through the Hillfoots. Provost Walker donated the granite fountain at the foot of Upper Mill Street opposite the Royal Arms Hotel as a gift to Tillicoultry to mark his retirement in 1900. The donation was marked by a parade from Walker Terrace via Hill Street, Ochil Street, Stirling Street and High Street to the bridge. Later there was dancing in the Public Park and a cake and wine banquet in the Crown Hotel.

Moss Road was the main link in a southern direction from Tillicoultry in the 19th century. In 1874 there was a public meeting where 2 men were appointed to raise £100 from local householders to prevent the building of a toll-bar on Moss Road. The money raised was to maintain the Ochil Turnpike from Carsebridge to Tillicoultry and they managed to delay the building of a toll until July 1877 when Richard Law was appointed at this time to collect tolls from 6am - 6pm. However the proprietor of Devonvale made a road through his own land to bypass the toll and carts from Alloa began crossing the Devon at Marchglen to avoid the toll. In September 1877 the local merchants and manufacturers subscribed £250 to cover the abolition of the toll. Tolls throughout Scotland were finally abolished in 1879.

After Samuel Jones took over Devonvale Mills in 1921 they built several white painted, red roofed houses in Moss Road for their employees. These houses are still there today but privately owned.

 

Ochilview Road was built in the 1930's to create an access road to the newly developing Jamieson Gardens. Previously there was no road there at all as the gardens of the 2 adjacent houses were joined together.

Ochilview Road built in the 1930's

Do you remember the prefabs ? They were built between the present Primary School and North Hill Street up towards the small swing park. 61 temporary aluminium prefabricated houses were erected in 1946. They were finally demolished in 1969

The Cunninghar Estate (82 houses) - St Serf's Road, Kirkhill Terrace, part of Johnstone Crescent, part of Fir Park, and part of Elmwood Avenue was built in 1954. The first tenants were given their keys in 1955 and some of the original tenants are still living in these houses.

 

back to historical notes